Old Stone House

Tile, Tile, On The Floor…

August 5, 2006

Filed under: Master Bathroom @ 5:22 pm

tile4.jpgWe selected a plain white, slightly textured tile for the floor. We struggled a bit to find a tile that would look good, and we were torn between doing things that suited the era of the house, and suited the era of when the first bathroom would have been installed. Ideally a small octagonal tile would have been perfect – but the budget would not allow for it. We finally decided on a tile that was a bright/cool white so it looked quite clean once installed. As well, it was a good price.  If we weren’t going to install a floor that was magnificent, we were certainly going to install a floor that would blend-in, and you wouldn’t notice.
The trickiest part of the installation was the measuring. Typically, you would divide the room in half etc. and find the centre point of the floor and then cut the tiles accordingly. In our case, the corridor created by the doorway was most important, and within that space, we wanted the tiles centered to the entrance. To accomplish this, we first centered the tiles as we wanted them in the doorway, then measured backwards across the room to the far corner. This was a prime example of a situation where one ‘measures twice – cuts once’.

I quickly scraped the top of the floor with a spade to knock off any high-spots, trowel marks etc. that were left over, then swept and lightly mopped the floor. Installation was fairly standard, and went quite quickly. A great deal of care was taken to ensure that the area under the tub was as level as possible. I’ve been told that the mark of well laid tile is that you can slide a quarter across it and it wont jump or catch. I didn’t bother with that… (grin)

Without a wet saw, we did have to use snap-joints around the register, but as nobody will ever look at the heating we didn’t really worry about it. As for around the toilet flange, we used nippers to bite out the ¼ circle from each of the four tiles. I was rather surprised as to how well the nippers worked once I had gotten the hang of it. On the downside, the constant nipping left me unable to close my hand for a week…

tilegap.jpgThe only spot in the whole room that was a bit tricky was around the inside of the door where the door casings met the floor. Typically, you cut the door casings and slide the tile underneath. In our case, I didn’t want to cut the casings, opting to leave them whole. (this decision was spurred by the fact that many off the rooms in the house have at one time or another had carpet on the floor, so a great number of the door casings have been undercut – now leaving an unsightly gap. Ideally, we want to leave as much of the original house intact as possible so that if ever someone wanted to tear out our work, the original woodwork etc. would still survive.) I had to create a tight profile cut using nippers, which was, well, impossible. The final result was pretty good and I intend to fill in the remaining gap with some white grout.

Overall, the tile went really well. Having only done tile once before, this experience was great – the small things I had learned since the first time made things much easier. Looking forward to the next tile job! Or not…

tile2.JPGtile3.JPG

No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment