August 4, 2008
Long story short: We’re NOT moving.
After 8 weeks of valiantly trying to sell our house, we came to the conclusion that this was not meant to be, and pulled our house off the market. In the last few days we’ve had a number of very interested buyers come through the house – each prepared to make an offer – but ALL wanting to wait until after the holiday weekend. In the meantime, our offer on the other house (Brant) had expired and we needed a firm offer on our house before we could make any deals. If all that wasn’t frustrating enough, our agent was suggesting that we should drop our price as contractors were prepared to make an offer on Brant (they were looking to flip the property!) and we needed to make our move NOW. All the while, Brant had developed a bad mold problem in the basement.
We stopped the whole thing.
Our agent took the whole thing pretty well – she understood, but was disappointed. We offered to pay all of her costs, but she declined.
We went to a family members cottage for the weekend and realized that for the difference in cost that we were willing to spend to get the Brant house, we could buy a cottage! While we’re not looking to buy a cottage, it was rather sobering to realize that we were thinking of spending a rather substantive amount of money for a fairly minimal return.
So, we’re going to do some camping and try to make up for the lost time this summer. We’re also going to make some changes to this house. While our house was listed, we toured a number of other houses and doing so has allowed us to see some of the deficiencies in our own – we’re going to make some changes.
We love our house (and deep down) we’re happy to be staying!