November 24, 2007
Despite the minor setbacks encountered while installing the first two windows – namely rough openings smaller then expected – spirits in oldstonehouse were still high as I prepared to tackle the third challenge: the sh*tty bathroom window. As before, I gleefully ripped out the old window, excited about the prospect of finally having more then one pane of glass in the bathroom. As I swept away the debris a small panic started to rie – the inside and outside openings weren’t the same size…
I measured the size of the hole – it was two inches shorter and one inch narrower then the window I had ordered.
So I would seem that once again I mismeasured the window opening.
For the next two hours I pounded and smashed cinderblocks as I attempted to remove a course of blocks from around the window opening – it was one degree above freezing, lightly raining, and I hit the back of my hand with the sledge many, many times. Fun.
By nightfall I had managed to rebuild the wall and install the window. Amidst smashed cinderblocks, broken glass, sawdust and ‘foam-worms’ the window looked nice – much better then what had been there before. I worked up the courage to go inside and see what was needed to finish the job.